Monday, March 11, 2013

Emerald City Comic Con Report!

So, you may have noticed that I went to ECCC a couple of weekends ago and that I'm just now getting around to blogging about it.


I'm so lazy these days, it's disgusting.

Anyway, I just want to make it super duper clear right here and now that my hometown convention is by far my favorite convention of them all. SDCC is turning into Hollywood's toilet and Wondercon is full of a-hole Los Angelinos. But ECCC is still a good old fashioned con with loads of dealer tables, easily approachable talent from the comic business and salt-of-the-earth true-blue geek cosplayers. Let it be known far and wide that I love Emerald City Comic Con!

With that declared, let's take a look at some of the awesome stuff I saw (in no particular order)...

Since creating my own little silly toys, I found myself paying attention more to the home-grown arts and geek crafts made by folks just like you and me.

This 2 foot tall felted R2D2 stole my heart. Sadly, he wasn't for sale...


I did plunk down the cash for one of these adorable little "Sushis you can hug!" for my wife, who knows her way around a California roll.


I also tried to buy her this, but she nixed that idea...


I was happy to run into my good friend Tony Fowler from Working Class Villains. He was selling these adorable Thundercats cuties and tempting me with his not-for-sale custom Crystar figure...



Another Tony, Tony Moore, the original artist on the first 6 issues of Walking Dead was there and I fell in love with this amazing fuzzy black-light poster hanging over his booth...


And I totally geeked out on all of the papercraft and things like these vintage masks, designer shirts and plush "bad apples" displayed throughout the convention center...





And mark my words, as soon as I'm a gazillionaire, I'm gonna start gaming like this...


 
Here's a random pic of a giant Tranformer statue...


Of course, no comic convention is complete without some seriously expensive toys...

 

They had a massive Lego display, but the only thing I really geeked out on with this sweet sample of 1966 awesomeness...


 I managed to score some killer comics (more on that later), but the ones that really stuck with me were the ones I had to leave behind. Some things, no matter how much I want them, are just too rich for my blood...


And then there was this guy...


Of course, this is all just the tip of the iceberg. This year's convention was a non-stop whirlwind of amazing sights and memories for me. The people were awesome. The scores were epic. The excitement was palpable.

And if that wasn't enough, at the end of the day, when everyone was leaving with sore feet and full backpacks, we were all treated to the image of a guy in a pink gorilla suit playing the bucket drums...


Until next year, Emerald City Comic Con.