Friday, November 23, 2012

Top 5 Friday! My Top 5 Favorite 2012 Macy's Parade Balloons!

Ugh. Is it me, or is the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade getting a little too singy and dancey? I couldn't give a rotten cranberry who's got some new sappy single they need to promote or what Broadway musical is the new talk of the town. But every year, I sit through such insipid warbling just so I can see the two things I love the most about the Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade; floats and balloons!

Every year I watch the parade, and I swear that I just don't feel like my Christmas holiday has started off right until I see the great and all-giving Santa Claus himself wrapping up the festivities.

I don't know what it is about the balloons that still hold a sense of wonder for me, as they have ever since I was a kid. Maybe they are a sort of helium-filled countdown timer for me, ticking away the morning of Thanksgiving day, leading to the official kick-off to th greatest timne of the year. Or maybe I just like giant, floating cartoon characters.

Either way, here are my top 5 favorites from this year...

1. Charlie Brown
Sadly, there was no Snoopy in this year's parade, but the inclusion of everyone's favorite blockhead, who is shown determined to finally kick that football, completely made up for it.
2. Kermit the Frog
When I was 6 years old, I got an amazing stuffed Kermit for Christmas and loved him dearly. Seeing this balloon reminded me of that.
3. Diary of a Wimpy Kid
I don't know if any of you out there have read these books, but I have and I loooooooooooove them! Greg Heffley is one of the greatest characters ever written. I'm totally not joking. Congrats to him for making the big time.
4. Papa Smurf
I don't care who knows it. I have loved the Smurfs my whole life. Watched the cartoon every Saturday and collected tons of Smurf figurines as a kid. And Papa Smurf is the grand patriarch of it all.
5. Spider-Man
Do I really need to go into why he's on this list? Exceslior!